Tuesday, June 4, 2013

More Goodbyes

So, Bequis needed to get ready to go to the airport the next day, so we did not sleep that night, preparing her luggage and such. We left the house at 4:30 am, said our goodbyes, and were back by 6 am.

I think that Bequis enjoyed Peru. People welcomed her with open arms. People are so nice and welcoming and loving, that it is sometimes overwhelming. Bequis has been a great travel companion and friend, and I will miss her on the second half of my trip. We have had quite the series of adventures together. I was glad to have someone else appreciate things we would find different that other Peruvians would take for granted (like the dogs on the roof that surprised Bequis, having to stand far away while our Peruvian friends were hailing a cab so we wouldn´t get charged the gringo price, bartering in the market, looking nappy while we camped, having lots of leg room on the plane, etc).

After a four hour nap, I met up with Hna. Avalos and Harold and we visited Hna. Rosa up at her home on the cerrito. Her house was much bigger now and they had some modern conveniences, for which I was so grateful. We spent some time talking with her and helping get the niñas ready for the colegio. I got to hold the youngest baby, whose name is Susan Katty (named after Hna. Avalos and I. No, seriously. I told her that we would be the godparents). I told her we would do a noche de hogar (FHE) at her home on Wednesday. Her husband should be back this week! He works 24 days and then gets 7 days off (supposedly, since he spends many of those days traveling to and from work). It is fortunate that I will get to see him when he comes back.

After our visit, including at the house of our pensionista, Hna. Soledad. We had an AMAZING Peruvian meal (arroz con pollo). I had forgotten that she is such a good cook. I was so spoiled as a missionary with excellent food. We had so much fun and just laughed and laughed, like old times. Andy, her son, joined us and we teased him just as much as we had in the good old days. Good times, de verdad.

After our visit, it was time to say goodbye to Katty and Harold. I was so happy to spend the time with them this weekend, just like old times, and to visit those families. It seemed like a dream that I am here in Peru, but IT IS TRUE! We had a blast doing the show, and we were able to conversate and catch up. What a blessed weekend it was. Of course, we hugged and cried and said, ¨hasta el milenio¨ (until the millennium), but hopefully, it will be sooner than that. Now we say, ¨hasta Facebook.¨ But, that is life, right? If you love someone, it hurts to say goodbye to them. And, people have to keep on living their individual lives.

To be continued...........