Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Surprise Visit

Bequis and I had already agreed that we would not be getting any sleep during this trip, and we were right. Sure enough, just like old times, church started at 7:30 am. Because it was fast and testimony day, some of the women shared their feelings with the rest of the congregation. One woman (bless her heart clause here) went on about how she would never be late to church, because it is disrespectful. Since we had stumbled in a little past 7:30, it was a ¨machete¨moment for all of us (although, to Bequis and my credit, we were ready to go but members of our group were not, so we arrived late, too).

The best part was seeing Rosa and her children there, as well as the Hna. Soledad (our pensionista) with her husband, Alberto. Alberto had a HUGE grin on his face when he saw Hna. Avalos and I there, together, just like old times (we had stayed in their home and had eaten breakfast and dinner with them for 3 months). Cesar, one of Rosa and Amador's sons, whispered to someone, ¨That looks just like the Hna. Christensen!¨When he got close to me and I said ¨hola¨ he said, ït IS Hna. Christensen!¨

After church, Bequis, Hna. Avalos and her fiancee and I went to visit one of our converts and friends, Olga. We stayed an d visited with her whole family, shared pictures, sang hymns, and prayed together. It was a surprise for them and a prized experience for all of us. This is what I miss about my mission, being able to be in people´s homes and to listen to them, encourage them, sing with them, and especially, to pray for them. It is a special experience that I am reliving during my trip. Tourism is fun, but ministering is the BEST!

To be continued....