Friday, June 28, 2013

In the Jungle...

So, whenever missionaries talked about serving in “the jungle” (la selva), I got the impression that they lived in the Amazon rainforest, slept in hammocks, had pet monkeys, and used machetes to clear the brush and to protect their companions from attacking anacondas. Well, when I went to Iquitos, I was shocked to find a city of over 430,000 people complete with people selling ice cream on bikes, among other amenities.

When I came back for this trip, I felt I could relax. I also had a ton of memories flooding through my brain. We would ride in motortaxis and drive down certain streets and I would exclaim, “Oh! I miss Hna. Rodriguez!” or “I remember when Hna. Duarte and I rode down this street to go to a training with our mission president.” I missed my companions wherever I went, and it just wasn’t the same without them. I have got to send them a report and let them know how each family is doing (add to the to-do list).

I did all kinds of things I never did as a missionary. I took a boat, for example, to see the remote village where my pensionista works as a teacher; I visited a butterfly farm with some friends; I rode on the back of a motorcycle a few times (I don’t need to do that again); I got my first manicure and pedicure (20 soles = $8 USD; it’s okay to be jealous); I took naps after lunch! It was glorious.

I continued doing visits to see the different families. That was my favorite part of my trip. To see their reaction was priceless. They were so humble and they were so excited. They said, “To be honest, we never thought we would see you again! Now it seems like you have never left!” They thanked me for my service and for coming back and visiting them.

Then, after I showed them my pictures and gave them an update on my life came the inevitable questions: “Y tu novio?” (and your fiancée?) or “Cuándo te vas a casar?” (when are you getting married?). I would joke about it and say, “I’m getting married June 14, 2014…… You didn’t ask me with whom, only when. I haven’t planned that minor detail yet.” They would laugh and then pointedly remind me that I was getting old and had no time to waste (thank you, Peru, for reminding me of my marital status. I had forgotten I was single and that my biological clock was ticking). They would then ask, “When is the next time you are coming back?” and then told me they wanted me to come back with my husband and my babies. I told them that would be within 10 years. They did not like that response.

Qué más? Well, my friend Janifer accompanied me to visit one area and Francis, the 13-year-old son of my pensionista Vicki, accompanied me in the other area. We joked that Francis was my bodyguard or my new missionary companion. Excelente, compañero, excelente! He would repeat stuff I had said to my missionary companion, Hna. Rodriguez, while staying at their house, even in the same goofy voices and everything! I would give him Jolly Ranchers (his favorite) and all kinds of random stuff I had lying around in my suitcase (a stuffed animal elephant, pictures, a USB, fake dollar bills from the Dollar Tree, measuring cups, etc). He loved all the random stuff! I would joke about him becoming my best friend, but there’s no joke about it! He reminded me of hanging out with my nieces and nephews. I already miss that kid! Good thing there’s Facebook.

After eight days in the jungle, it was time to head back to Lima and then head home.

To be continued….