Friday, June 28, 2013

Home Again

I had Monday night and all day Tuesday to enjoy in Lima before I went home.

Monday night Marlene had arranged a special Family Home Evening in my honor. I was happy to see Wendy and Alexander, both of my friends from Iquitos (who were studying in Lima). I was also happy to see Elen, who was baptized in Comas. We called up Hna. Katty Avalos, my mission companion and good friend, so Elen could say hola to her. Later that night, I was able to call up Katty and catch up with her, which was SO GREAT! We had just seen each other two weeks ago, but a lot had happened in that time.

On my last day, Tuesday, Elen, Marlene, Lucy, and I went to town to help me accomplish one of my final trip goals-that of eating ceviche. We weren’t allowed to eat it as missionaries, so, of course, I was curious to try it. In case you wondered how they prepare ceviche, they take fish and soak it in lemon juice until it is “cooked.” Then, they add all the good stuff; boiled sweet potato, crunchy canchita (toasted corn kernels with salt), red onion, a few beans, and some sea plant. Yummy! We had ordered a large platter to share, and then had ordered pescado chicharrón (fish cut in small chunks and fried) in addition. We were stuffed! Oh, there happened to be a tremor from an earthquake a few miles away, but it is was very slight for us.

We walked around, took a nap in the Olivar park, and then had mazamorra morada con arroz con leche , which is a very Peruvian dessert, and then took the Metropolitano back. Good times. I stopped by Seraphina’s house one more time to say goodbye (she is my 95-year-old Peruvian friend we would often visit as missionaries), got my suitcases (with help from my friends who carried them down the hill for me), got in the car, and headed to the airport.

After a month of traveling and visiting friends, it was time to wake up from my dream and to come home again. I thank God for helping make my trip as meaningful as He did, packed full of many miracles and priceless experiences. He helped me reach my trip goals; just to make it to Peru in the first place, but then to accomplish the many objectives I had laid out for my trip. I am so grateful to Him, as well as to the people who opened up their hearts, their homes, their dinner tables, their schedules, and everything to me. Thank you!

To be continued….