Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Friends, Chocolate, and Bodyguards

For any teachers, you know how expensive classroom materials can be, so, ¡aproveché! Disregarding the cost of the airfare, it was way cheaper to buy posters, CDs, and other materials for my future classroom as a Spanish teacher in Peru than it would be online. I went with Jenny to the Politécnico, where they sold materials for teachers. I also found flags of Spanish-speaking countries while in Cusco at reduced prices (compared to American prices). ¡Lo máximo! (awkward translation: the best ever!)

I went to el distrito Carabayllo, where I visited my first pensionista, Marlene. She was practically my first Peruvian mom, cooking every breakfast and dinner for my companion and I, and taking care of us while we were sick. We reminisced over old times, while enjoying amazing Peruvian food (including mashed potatoes, meat, and rice). We remembered our “romantic Christmas dinner” when the lights went out, and we used every candle in the house. She invited me to tour downtown on Thursday and I was delighted to accept.

The next day, Wednesday, I went to the Lima temple with my friend. While we were eating lunch there, a young man came up and said hello (actually, he said hola). I stood up and gave him a huge hug (don’t worry, I’m not a floozy, just keep on reading). It was my friend, Wilbur, from Iquitos! He had worked with us missionaries in the jungle, and we knew and loved his family, who came from humble circumstances and gave us the best they had. He had gotten back from his mission in September and briefly filled me in on how his family was doing. I did not expect to see him in Lima. He and his sister had moved to Lima from the jungle (apparently, I learned that they weren’t the only ones who do that. I soon learned that a lot of people moved to Lima from Iquitos, for better job and schooling opportunities).

Later that night, I met up with my friend Silvana, who also served as a missionary in my mission. We became companions for a day, visiting various ward members. We visited Seraphina, a 95-year-old woman. On Monday, Hna. Avalos and I were sad because she didn’t remember who we were. However, when Silvana and I came on Wednesday, she remembered la gringa and the Ariquipeñan who would visit her. She looked at Silvana and pointedly told her, “You aren’t her.” She told us she had the things that we had given her saved away. I gave her a Soy amada (I am loved) pin (thank you, Helzberg Diamonds, for donating the pins), which she put on her chompa (her sweater). I love Seraphina and was so grateful that she remembered who I was! Mini miracle!

With Silvana, we did a Family Home Evening with one of my favorite families, Sangama Ortega. We trudged up the hill to get to their home. These kids were so excited when I gave them a sticky note to write a goal on. Aldair, six, asked for 2 sticky notes. I willingly complied (Do you see why I love these kids? They are excited about sticky notes!). After the lesson and after the goal-writing activity, I pulled out balloons for the activity (I had no idea what we would do with them; I just had faith that inspiration would hit) and invented a relay race using balloons.

They also loved the Reese’s peanut butter cups I brought and were excited when I told them we could make them from scratch on Thursday night. On Thursday night, they made Father’s Day cards, and then we made our dessert (we took Ritz crackers and made peanut butter sandwiches with them, dipped them in melted chocolate almond bark, and then put them in the fridge to harden). We stuck a pan of the treats outside and took turns standing guard, making sure the roaming cats (or kids) didn’t get to them.

Then, it was Christmas! If they were grateful for sticky notes, they loved the gifts I gave them. I explained that I had missed their birthdays and Christmas, so I was making up for it. They loved it. I loved it. And I remembered what my grandpa had taught me about the purpose of money. One of the happiest things we can do is to give to other people and to bring happiness into their lives. Amen. That was one of the most rewarding aspects of my trip; giving to others.

Amador (the dad) was expected to come the next day, but I wasn’t sure if I would get to see him before I left to go to the selva, or jungle. Well, he walked right in right during the gift-opening session (He works far away for 28 days and then comes back for 5 days on an ongoing basis)! Since he would be gone for Father’s Day, he went ahead and opened his Father’s day cards and presents. It was a great (and late!) night for everyone.

The next day was Friday. My host family was excited to show Las Piletas to me; a park with fountains and lights. It happened to be the same day as the huge fútbol (soccer) game. Apparently, everyone else decided to be out and about, to get off work early to watch the game. We spent about an hour trying to find an available bus or taxi to go and meet up with our friends! We finally found a bus and smushed our way through all the people. Talk about no personal space! It’s a good thing I wasn’t claustrophobic; we were packed like sardines. I made sure to carry my bag in front of me at all times; it is not unknown for people to lose cameras and wallets unknowingly while taking public transportation.

We got off the bus and my friend said, “Let’s go take a look at these movies.” We went inside the little kiosk and my friend said, “Keep on looking.” So, I obediently looked around at the pirated DVDS. She pulled me aside and said, “Susan, when you got off the bus, there was this guy who immediately began to follow you. That’s why I steered us into this store. We will have to take any car, because if we walk farther, he could be waiting for us.” So, we actually waited for our other friends to meet us at the store before we boarded another bus. I bought a few DVDs (which possibly saved my life) from the guy.

A similar incident happened later, and we decided that there was too much traffic. It would be better to go back home. The whole time, my friends stepped up and protected me. They became my bodyguards (keep in mind that they are probably no taller than 5 feet). One friend walked in front, one at my side, and two in the back. We laughed that they were protecting me, when they were so much shorter than me! We went home, safe, and watched the fútbol game (which Peru won, 1-0).

To be continued…