Monday, November 30, 2009

Special & Entertaining Moments

This weekend was filled with some special and entertaining moments:

"Wade in the water"

Our investigators Guadalupe and Angie were baptized on Saturday night. It was a little crazy getting everyone to the church, and their little brother and sister (5 and 7 years old) were a little too excited (euphemism for little rascals), as they ran around the church, climbing on top of everything. Guadalupe confides in me and tells me, “My brother is terrified of water.” She takes control of the situation and grabs her little brother, lifts him up to see the baptismal font filled with water, and hisses, “If you don’t behave, I’m going to throw you in there!” Needless to say, he calmed down for a while. This poor kid is probably traumatized and will probably never be baptized, ever.

This same little boy his father has been urging us to baptize. We try to explain that he is not accountable yet and does not need baptism yet, that he is “alive in Christ” (See Moroni 8). The mom and dad just looked at us incredulously and said, pointing to the little boy, “HE is alive in Christ? I don’t think so.”

"It´s a miracle!"

In the morning, before church, we were delivering a wheelchair to our friend, Ursula, who had foot surgery recently. Hna. Flores was walking slower than I desired, and, being a kind and thoughtful companion, I offered her a ride in the wheelchair. Did I mention that we were running late? Actually, I was the one running and pushing the wheelchair. After 10 minutes, I had her get out and walk (though I taught her the English word, “powerwalk”). We joked about the miraculous “healing” that had just taken place, and how now we will have throngs of people interested in attending church and in listening to our message. 

"Open mouth, insert foot"

Sunday afternoon, we talked with a group of people who are cleaning up after a wild party. I asked them, in a jocular manner, “Por que no nos invitaron?” (why didn’t you invite us?). In that moment, I looked and beheld the cases filled with empty beer bottles, and the ground strewn with bottle caps. Immediately, I felt awkward. (for my sisters’ benefit, it was the awkward kissing llama stage. That is actually quite appropriate for Peru, as we have a variety of llamas and alpacas here). I felt prompted to teach them the Word of Wisdom in that very moment…….. (I’m just kidding!)

There really is a powerful spirit that accompanies baptisms. I was reminded of the quote by Joseph Smith that "In the ordinances, the power of God is made manifest." It's true. It's really true.

Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving.

Love, Hna. Christensen