Monday, November 9, 2009

Teaching, Learning, Loving the People--& Breaking Fashion Rules!

We are teaching an amazing family, the Zabaleta family. There are 11 kids in their family, and they are so humble, hard-working, and sincere. I can’t even describe how radiant and pure they are. They make me want to be a better person because I know them. They love the palabra, or the Word of God and want to learn more. I´ve had to really step up my scripture study in order to keep up with all of their questions. I have an even greater appreciation of the scriptures. There are so many answers to the questions we have that we think are unanswerable. Often times, we just haven´t done our homework and really studied and searched to find the answers we seek. But, the promise is “Ask, and it shall be given you, seek and ye shall find.” That is true.

I´ve really come to appreciate the nature of God, and how He is kind and forgiving of His children. Often, I feel like we are the ones who are not willing to forgive ourselves for the mistakes we have made. The whole purpose of the Atonement of Christ is so that we can learn and progress in spite of (or because of) our mistakes. Many people seem to have this idea that God is angry and unforgiving, but that mistaken idea is corrected with the Restoration of the Gospel.

I´ve been trying to translate some of my favorite English phrases into Spanish, with some luck. Sometimes people try to take advantage of me because I am a gringa, by not giving me correct change on the bus, for example. I say quietly to my companion, Mi mama no me crio tonta, or, my momma didn´t raise no fool (Rachel, hope you appreciate that one). Hna. Flores will use words like {awesome}, {awkward}, and {cute} in her sentences, which makes me happy. We made a goal to learn 10 new words a day in Spanish (for me) and English (for her).

Older people have always been my favorites, and here in Peru is no exception. We talked with this abuelita, an older woman, who was serving food on the street. We invited her to church and she gave us Jello (which we didn’t eat because we didn´t know how it was prepared if it was safe, etc). Hna. Flores and I have taught a couple of abuelitos, little old men, who are so cute (but no one can compare with MY grandpa!). One was all wrapped up in his scarf and sitting on the porch, another one fixes shoes all day, another is a carpenter, etc. They are so cute, you just want to hug them, but you can´t. They agree with everything you say, but probably because they are harder of hearing. Then, suddenly they realize that they are Catholic and they politely shoo you out the door.

Karen warned me before I left about the missionary fashion sense (or often, lack of sense). Well, she´s right. Much to my utter dismay, I´ve started combining colors and outfits that should never go together. Maybe I can get away with it and maybe people will start imitating it because I´m from the USA. Or, maybe not. I know Karen and other family members are shaking their heads and shouting at their computer monitors, {Don´t do it, Susan! It´s not worth it! You can be better than that!}

Choose the right!

Love, Hna. Christensen