Monday, December 7, 2009

Thanks and Thoughts on Faith, Hope, & Charity

I just wanted to send a quick thank you note for those who have written me. Even though it takes a while to receive and send letters, I just got letters from Crystal Baysa, Kezia Carter, Sonia Valdez, Jenay Weekly, Carmen Bowman, Kari Stolzenburg, Karen (my sister) and my Grandpa. Thank you ! I feel blessed to be able to be inspired by your letters and to feel your love, as well as to stay connected to you.

I’m grateful for the examples of faith here in Peru (as well as those back home in the States). I have noticed how the people here live their testimonies every day. For example, Hno. Castillos is a man in his seventies who only has one leg. He wakes up early to walk to church, slowly and with his crutches, I don´t know how far, every Sunday. He travels two hours (each way) every week to faithfully serve in the temple. There are families here that have barely enough to get by from day to day, from meal to meal, and yet they are so willing to give everything they have and to share with others what they have. And, that love or charity is a natural byproduct of faith and hope. It’s the feeling that you have when you walk down the street and you just want to hug everyone, or when someone says something that hurts your feelings but you forgive them and love them anyway. So, let us learn to love! If we don't have that love, we can pray for that love.

Love, Hna. Christensen