Monday, December 21, 2009

Pre-Christmas Thoughts and Experiences

Merry Christmas this week!

We have been teaching a lot of teenage girls the gospel. I know that it blesses families. Hna. Flores and I have 2 favorite commandments, the Law of Chastity (sexual purity before marriage and total fidelity after) and the Word of Wisdom (don’t consume alcohol, tobacco, and other addictive substances). We have observed SO MANY families here that would be immensely blessed if they lived these 2 commandments, regardless of their religious beliefs. I realized that it is so important for those pre-teen and teenaged girls to have the love of their parents, especially of their fathers. If they don`t get the attention from home, they look for the attention in other areas, on the street. I wish people would just live the commandments. It makes life so much simpler.

We had a humbling and beautiful moment when we met two war veterans, Pepe and Mario, sitting on a park bench. One man had lost his hand in the war, and the other had lost his leg. We were talking with them, and Pepe insisted on buying us a gaseosa (7 up) and some cake. He said, “You give all your time to help families and I want to thank you.” I told him, “No, we want to thank YOU for your sacrifice that you made to bless and protect the people of this country.¨ Their act of kindness was so humbling, Hna. Flores and I wanted to cry. Here we needed to thank them, and yet they were thanking us. I felt, this is the smallest part I will feel when I meet my Savior and thank Him for His sacrifice for me. I hope we can remember the Savior this Christmas time and always, so we will always have His Spirit with us.

Love,
Hna. Christensen