Monday, December 14, 2009

Shout outs--and Life in Lima

I want to give a quick “shout out” to my brother, David, whose birthday is the 16th of December. Feliz cumpleanos, David! I love you! Also, happy wedding this month to my friends Raj and Suruchi. Congratulations! My college friends who are preparing for finals, or who have finals this week, good luck and study hard!

While most people recognize me as American, others think I am British, or German. One man, Pablo, started speaking German to me. I responded with the few phrases I learned from my sister Bequis and my friend Kari. “No espreka zi deutsch. Mein gleibte schvreste, Bequis, espreka zi deutsch. Ich liebe meine muter. Vilkommen en Peru.” (Translation: I don´t speak German. My lovely sister, Bequis, speaks German. I love my mother. Welcome to Peru). Yes, I actually said all of that. Turns out he lived in Germany for 11 years. He surprised (and delighted us) us by coming to church last week. He was embarrassed, because he wasn’t dressed in church clothes (he didn’t have any). I was so happy when our friend, John Carlos, befriended him and made him feel comfortable. We missionaries need members to look out for the new people at church and help them feel welcome. It’s a responsibility we all have. People don’t come back and won’t receive those blessings, if they don’t feel welcome.

I thought I would describe a little bit of Lima for you. It is a big city (8 million) with paved roads and public transportation (lots of big buses and smaller minivan style ones). There are lots of parks, too (we met the workers who maintain the parks. They are paid 16 soles a day, or less than 6 dollars, to maintain the parks. They walk an hour to work both ways under the hot sun, to save money. A bottle of water costs 1 sol, transportation costs 50 cents, etc). People love their music. We hear reggaeton, merengue, bachata, salsa, and Michael Jackson (yes, everyone here is addicted to Michael Jackson). It is common to see groups of children practicing their group dances. Both the boys and girls dance, the girls in their big, brightly colored skirts and their braids, and the boys in their pants and shirts. They all know the traditional folkloric dances, too. Every time I see them, I just stop and stare with delight. The USA is missing out on a lot of culture.

The kids all wear uniforms, except for those in university. It is not uncommon to see groups of people playing soccer (futbol) and volleyball. They just put up a big net in the street and start playing. Every once in a while we will see a procession of the Catholic church in the street. I loved hearing the faith of a Catholic woman we met who explained that the procession is a way to remind the people that they need to always remember the Savior and what He`s done for us. It’s not an advertisement, but a reminder to the community.

Many people here have cell phones, but there are pay phones on every block. Many people have their own shops out of their homes, where they sell snacks, phone cards, toilet paper, office supplies, and Inca Kola (the national soft drink). The difference is that everything is behind a big gate that is locked. You stand outside and tap on the gate, shouting, “SeÑora!” in a slightly whiny voice (I don’t exaggerate). We eat chicken and rice with potatoes almost every lunch time. I’ve never eaten so much meat in my life! There are street vendors everywhere, but we are not allowed to eat from them (this is a good rule...most people here have not taken a class on microbiology. I try to forget everything I learned in that class about sanitation and food being left out. I just pray fervently when I bless the food that the microbes have not reached a dangerous level). 

Life is good. Prayer is essential. Be kind to others.

Love, Hna. Christensen