Monday, March 28, 2011

Lots of Heavenly Help!

Buenos dias, familia y amigos!

Wow! This week we have seen how Heavenly Father does things that we cannot to help the families we are teaching. Javier’s mom softened her heart and Javier will be baptized and confirmed this Friday, before General Conference. Also, we have seen changes in Agatha. She is so different than when we first began teaching her. At first she didn’t have much interest. However, in each visit, she tells of experiences when she prayed and saw miracles. So, she has a testimony of personal prayer and of the Book of Mormon. She is so excited for General Conference and she made a list of questions or doubts she has to bring to the Conference. We assured her that if she attends the conference with the spirit of prayer, she will receive the answers to her questions or doubts. She will be baptized and confirmed the following Friday, April 11.

Carmen and her son, Luis, went to church for the second time in a row yesterday. We did a Family Home Evening in the home of Carmen and Felix and were so happy that our investigators, the family of the stake president, and a man returning to activity after years all showed up and had a great time. Felix, who previously didn’t have interest in the gospel message, thanked us for the evening and told us that he was touched at how sincere we were and how the gospel can unite people of all economic situations.

That is the truth. People don’t just convert because of the doctrine but because they feel the Spirit and the spirit of love and belonging that the world imitates but can’t fulfill this need. The Torres family invited everyone to their house tonight to do another Family Home Evening. I love the gospel. The gospel in action is that everyone seeks the interest of their neighbor and forms these bonds of love and community.

I am going to be teaching Nancy, our investigator, the piano so she will be my replacement when I leave. (She had the idea and told me this and I think it is a great idea.)

I have seen so many blessings in my life personally from Heavenly Father and from my decision to serve as a missionary. It is incredible, because I know that Heavenly Father is giving me the ideas and the direction and the hope that I need for the next stage of my life. And, I know that He will give you these ideas too, if you ask for them.

And, don’t forget! We missionaries love General Conference, the opportunity to invite our investigators to listen to the living prophet of the living God and the Twelve Apostles. Remember that you can access the Conference live or the archives at www.lds.org or perhaps through www.byutv.org. This Saturday and Sunday (in Peru it is from 11-1pm, 3-5 pm, and the priesthood session from 7-9 pm).

Love,
Hermana Christensen