Monday, March 7, 2011

Hard Times & Happy Times in the Jungle

Hello, family and friends,

This past week has been really hard for me, but I feel rejuvenated and ready to begin a new transfer. Hna. Rodriguez and I stay together for my last transfer here in Punchana (Iquitos) and we are happy to be together and to work hard. I found out that my former companion, Hna. Avalos, will also be in the jungle (but in another part) so I will not be able to see her as I had hoped. However, there is hope in the future that we will be at the sealing of Rosa and Amador in about a year, and I will be able to see her then.

I was happy to find out that Jonathan and Wilbur, both from my first area in Iquitos, received mission calls and report in April. I was also happy to get a letter from my trainer, Hna. Flores, who lives in Bolivia. The young man we are teaching, Javier, is animated to serve a mission, too. He has a baptismal date of March 12. He is excited about the gospel and told his friends that he is going to be baptized and won’t drink anymore (this was before we taught him about the Word of Wisdom). His friends thought he was crazy, but he invited them to his baptism. Who knows what other miracles will result of him joining the Church?

The Primary is doing a recycling drive in order to raise money for each kid to have their own Liahona subscription. We are helping them, too, as it is a great way to do missionary work (and a great way for the families to get to know their neighbors). People are so willing to help, and I was happy, as recycling is second-nature to my family. We are helping the ward with a “gynkana” or field day on Saturday and are helping with the publicity (just put “free food” on the flier and everyone shows up in droves). We have learned to put “free!” on every event we do for the public. We are planning a movie night in various locations in public parks, using the projector. (It helps having the stake president in our ward.)

We celebrated Hna. Rodriguez’ cumpleaños (birthday) on Monday and the ward threw her a party (complete with piñata, and they cracked an egg on her head). Seminary and school started this past week. Yesterday was Carnaval (a huge water fight with people dancing in the streets and enjoying alcoholic beverages while the missionaries dodged water balloons and paint. Needless to say, yesterday wasn’t the most productive proselytizing day).

I know that Heavenly Father lives and that He answers our prayers. I also know that we can be forgiven of our sins and that we can feel the peace and love that come from Him and the Savior. I don’t know exactly how it all works, but I know that it does.

Love,
Hermana Christensen