Monday, May 24, 2010

Wonderful People, Miracles, & Lessons!

My new companion, Hermana Reyes, is so cool. She has 1 year and 4 months as a convert and has so much life experience and wisdom. She is so enthusiastic for the work and is eager to testify and to make sacrifices for the people. I love her. She is always encouraging me and saying positive things to help me feel motivated, and she also isn’t afraid to correct me (as my mission president says, Don’t be afraid to make mistakes because that is how you learn…and, wow, have I learned a lot lately). She has left so much behind in order to be here on the mission, including a job offer as a director of a school (she is 23 years old but already has her Master’s degree in Educational Administration) back home in Guatemala. She was very catholic and even prepared to become a nun when she discovered the Church. She told the elders, “Changing religion isn’t just like changing your shoes. It’s serious business.” After 4 sets of missionaries she gained her testimony (the trick is to not just pray, but to pray with faith, is what she told me) and made her decision to join the Church. She is a real go-getter, a Latin version of Karen (my sister). She is such a powerful example for me.

We’ve seen miracles in the bishop. When I arrived here 4 months ago he was tired or “trunky” because he has health problems and has been bishop for 9 years (but there is no one else that could replace him), but some kind members took him to the hospital and paid for his treatment (side note: These members don’t have much money. They have to wait a few months to finish adding onto their house because they paid for the Bishop’s medical treatment. What an example of charity!). He is much healthier and he is very motivated to get involved with the work. I think he was discouraged because he knew there are problems with retention but didn’t know what the solutions are. He received some training (see examples of ward mission plans at missionaryleaders.org) and is highly motivated now (It helps that these sister missionaries are here to motivate and encourage him, too!).

Sunday he accompanied us to visit the Lopez (part-member) family. After the bishop taught them, without us saying anything, Carlos (20) told us that he wants to be baptized, too. This is a miracle, because just talking with him yesterday he didn’t want to be baptized. He and his brother have plans to be baptized on June 5. It’s amazing the Spirit people feel when the leaders visit them in their homes. They also feel really important when people take the time to visit with them individually(another reason why people should take their visiting and home teaching seriously, because people really ARE important and need to feel that way).

I am learning to discern the Spirit more. It was raining and I left my umbrella outside by the door of our appointment. I knew that if I left it outside there was no guarantee it would be there when we finished the appointment and I was correct. Right before our eyes this little girl took my umbrella. I saw her the next day and she was still playing with it. I told her, “Oh great! You found my umbrella!” and reached out for her to hand it to me. She dashed away with my umbrella in hand. My umbrella was a little broken and old and dirty, but, now I am missing it! Lesson learned. Most times we don’t recognize the impact our small decisions make in our lives, until we are roasting under the hot Amazonian sun for a time. If the Spirit prompts you to do something, do it and quickly!

I am learning so much every day. Wow! There is so much to learn and to become and the time flies by. Heavenly Father knows His children and knows the people that they need to be companions with (for example) and the lessons that we each need to learn. I don’t know how He does it, but He does!

Love,
Hermana Christensen