Monday, January 11, 2010

Touched by the Spirit

Before I forget, I just got my new assignment. I am being transferred from the city to the jungle!!! Mosquito nets, sunscreen, hot sun, hot sun, hot sun. I can finally create those stories for my grandkids that begin with “When I was in the Amazon…” It will be a humbling experience.

This week Hna. Flores and I have seen many people’s hearts touched by the Spirit. We didn’t do anything, but be where we needed to be at the right time and say the things we were prompted to say. Here are some of the milagros (miracles):

We visited a family and found out that one of the sons was 18 and a half. We shared some of our mission experiences with him and encouraged him to serve a mission. A week later, we had a Family Home Evening with the same family on goal-setting. The young man announced that he had decided a few days earlier to serve a full-time mission. Surely there were many factors going into his decision, but his parents believe we helped to “tip the scale.” I believe that decision will bless his life and the life of others.

We were making phone calls in a locutorio (business where you make phone calls) when the owner came in. Turns out that Gaby is a member of the church who has been away for a few years. Before, she has served in many church callings, including seminary teaching, Insitute, etc. She is coming back to church, and we are so grateful for her and that we were able to talk with her that day in the locutorio. I believe that the Lord puts people in our path as we just go about our normal business.

Sunday we were disheartened because we are starting from scratch to find new people to teach. We were walking down the street and talking about what changes we need to make when Abel stops us and starts talking to us. This young man, a member of a different Christian congregation, is on fire with his faith and testimony! He talked of Christ and how we need to depend upon Him and trust Him. He told us, “You need to teach people the importance of the scriptures. Not just to read them, but why they need them and why they need Christ.” I realized that I was caught up in the details of the mission and had lost my focus. This young man’s testimony was exactly what we needed. His faith was contagious!

We were so happy when our friend Carlos realized that playing soccer with his friends on Sunday instead of attending church was destroying his relationship with his wife and with God. He decided that his family was more important. Yea!!!

That’s all for the week. Choose the right!

Love,
Hermana Christensen