Monday, January 25, 2010

Sacrifice & Love; Overcoming Obstacles with Humor & Prayer

I have learned to expect resistance and opposition and to overcome it! Every time we climb up the steep hill to teach our families, sweating profusely, I begin to sing the 4th verse of “Come, Come Ye Saints” (And should we die, before our journey’s through…). The best way to deal with it is to have a sense of humor and to not let it stress you out.

Jose Abel, 8 years old, was the last member of the Sanchez family to be confirmed this Sunday. We went to their house on Saturday afternoon to remind them to be early to church, and we came early on Sunday to accompany them to church (at 8 am). And, they were not there. We called various times and they told us that Jose Abel was at his soccer game. However, God always prepares the way so that His children can accomplish the things that He commands them (1 Nephi 3:7). And, it rained. No, it poured. And Jose Abel’s soccer game was cancelled.

We took a mototaxi to pick up a soggy Jose Abel (it was after sacrament meeting). We could not find the house where he was, so we began to pray and search. 2 minutes later, Jose Abel and his family pass us in their mototaxi and they see us and stop. Hallelujah! After changing into his Sunday clothes, Jose Abel, Hna. Tepen and I cram into a mototaxi and make it “to the church on time” for him to get confirmed. In this moment, I began to think of the worth of a soul, and the countless sacrifices that my parents and teachers and church leaders and people at work have made for me (and continue to make for me). And they do it because they love me. And, it is only by sacrificing that we learn to love. It is because God and Christ gave the ultimate sacrifice that they have so much love for us. So, if I want to love God more, I need to give up more of the behaviors and thoughts and sins that are keeping me away from Him.

That´s all for this week!

Love, Hna. Christensen