Monday, December 6, 2010

Focusing on the Good (and Lots of It!)

Hi family and friends!

Wow. So many adventures this week. The highlights included a P-day celebration of Hna. Avalos’ birthday, complete with birthday cake and a spontaneous water fight (the best).

My companions and I joked around how we are zone leaders, because the President asked me to do a “work visit” in another area. I observed and gave feedback and learned a lot from the experience about things I need to do to improve in my own area. I was really grateful to return to my own area, too, after not sleeping too well. I was sad because the thought dawned upon me that perhaps Heavenly Father is preparing me psychologically to move to another area (I have been here 3 transfers), and I was sad thinking about leaving the families and converts we have here. But, nothing is for certain. However, we do know that we are losing Hna. Ticona this week, because she is going to her mission in Guadelajara, Mexico. We are sad to lose “Tiki Tiki,” as we affectionately call her. And, Hna. Avalos and I only have 1 week left together, because it is almost certain that we won’t be together this next transfer (we have been together for 3 transfers). Change can be really hard.

We received special permission from Pte. Blunck to accompany our investigators and recent converts to the temple, along with the caravan of young men and women who attended the temple on Saturday. It was so special, because Elen (convert of 5 weeks) set the goal to prepare to attend the temple and has started her genealogy. Rosa and the kids went and Rosa bore her testimony in the class for investigators on Sunday. We all felt a special spirit when Elen and Rosa bore their simple testimonies. Wilson and Margarita, a couple whose daughter Xiomara was baptized a few weeks ago, listened attentively to their testimonies.

Wilson and Margarita have set the goal to be married in January. Margarita will be baptized, too, and we are working with Wilson, too. God is working with Wilson, too, because he has changed a lot. (It is obvious that his countenance has changed.) We are also teaching their nephew, Flavio (17), the discussions. The challenge for Flavio is, ironically, his other cousins, who are like the sons of Mosiah and Alma the Younger before their conversion. Because of them, I have recently changed in my focus and try to focus on helping the young men with their own conversions. We invite them to accompany our friends, the elders, on their visits and we invite them to read the Book of Mormon, too.

And, we are so spoiled because we went to the Christmas devotional (along with investigators) yesterday. We stayed for most of it. The music was incredible. I loved the part that said we can focus on the positive or the stressful details of Christmas. Elder Uchtdorf invited us to focus on the birth of Christ, the impact His life has in our life, and upon the future coming of Christ. I liked the part that Elder Eyring said about how he visited a relative in the nursing home, thinking that she would be depressed and sad. However, her countenance was bright and she exclaimed, “I know that my Redeemer lives!” She is an example of the faith and hope that the gospel of Jesus Christ can bring.

You know what? I have no complaints. I am learning so much every day, it is incredible. (Don’t worry, English grammarists. I know that should have been a semicolon instead of a comma, but I can’t find it here on the keyboard.) Oh, and I taught my companions how to make paper snowflakes, and we used our talents to decorate the mission office Christmas tree. (Gracias, Mrs. Manderick, my first-grade teacher who taught me.)

Life is good. It is not free of problems, but we choose what we will focus on, whether the good or the bad.

Happy week!

Love, Hna. Christensen