Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Many Reasons to Be Thankful!

Hello family and friends,

Sorry about the delay in writing. Yesterday we went to the temple as a zone and on the way out, I got a call from the mission office with a special service opportunity. I accompanied a missionary (Hna. Alcantara) from Tarapoto who went through the temple for the first time. Even though we were together less than 24 hours, it was really special to be able to be there for important moments in her life, including when she was set apart by President Blunck. So, I went to the temple 2 times in one day! It was really special and I learn so much everytime that I go. I feel like I am able to discern more clearly what I need to learn and change.

The children of Rosa and Amador were baptized this Saturday! It was so special when they received the Holy Ghost on Sunday, because even though they are pretty well behaved kids, I noted a big difference in them. We talked about how they had light before they were baptized and confirmed, but now they have an even brighter light and how that light shines in their countenance. We can control how much light we have by our obedience and our choices we make.

We have been helping Rosa and Amador to get married, but there is so much opposition. The final story is that he has to change his DNI and so they won’t be able to get married until December or even January. We practically didn’t sleep for a week as we were helping them with their papers and coordinating the ward with all this. So, we were disappointed and really tired, but everything is set in order for the next marriage opportunity. They are still progressing spiritually. It was great to hear from Amador that he always prays before reading the Book of Mormon and he doesn’t know how, but he always reads something that falls in line with the same theme he was thinking of. This happens to me, too, frequently. It is awesome. The scriptures always teach us something we need to know and do.

My companions, Hna. Avalos and Hna. Ticona and I continue to have a blast being together. Talk about unity! We push each other up the hills, finish each others’ food if the members serve us too much, and even share the same thoughts without even saying anything. I continue to teach them English jargon. Our favorite MOTAB Cds are the Broadway showtunes and the black spirituals (our mission allows all MOTAB cds, for which I am grateful).

I was grateful to help Olga and her family move on Monday, along with the other zone members. As a zone, we are planning a surprise birthday party for Hna. Avalos (Monday), complete with piñata and other adventures. All without her knowing…we are happy and working hard.

For Thanksgiving, I am grateful for many things. I am thankful to have a temple close by, internet access, libraries (they are not so available here), Peruvian food (it is the best), the scriptures, family traditions, my missionary companions, the lessons I am learning every day about life, my family, peanut butter m&ms, people who write me letters or emails, inside jokes, naptime (after the mission I will be able to sleep…?), etc. I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows and loves me and how He always looks after me, for Jesus Christ and for His restored Church, the Book of Mormon and the Holy Bible, and for living prophets and apostles. I am grateful for my parents who taught me correct principles and who are great examples for me and my siblings. I am grateful for my siblings who teach me so much by means of their examples, too.

In short, I love you! I invite you to thank Heavenly Father for your blessings every day this week and see a difference in how you feel and in your faith! God lives and He loves each of us personally and individually. He has a plan of happiness and salvation for each one of us. Happy Thanksgiving!

Love, Hna. Christensen