Monday, November 1, 2010

Blessings for Gospel Learners & Teachers

Hola, familia y amigos!

So much happens in just a short time here in the mission. We had interviews with President Blunck this week. He is so humble and is so full of the Spirit that you can’t help but want to be a better person, the most obedient and loving person you can be, after being in his presence. Wow! He is incredible (and so is his wife).

Elen was baptized this Saturday: the first baptism in the ward for over 8 months. The first time we arrived in the ward, we received the grim news that this was an area where “everyone has heard the gospel here” and that “no pasa nada” (nothing happens here). Well, that is not true! She is so humble and so grateful to receive the restored gospel and the ordinance of baptism. She was hesitant, and wanted to be sure that this was the correct decision, as she had been baptized Catholic (as a baby) and Seventh Day Adventist before (as an adult). So, she did everything we invited her to do...to listen, to pray, to attend church, to read the Book of Mormon and the pamphlets, and she received her witness from the Spirit. She is a true convert and firmly dedicated in her decision now. She will be a leader in the church. Teaching her and learning about some of the heartbreaking experiences she has had has made me even more grateful for the restored gospel in my life and the guide that it is to help me make correct decisions.

Amador is away for a few weeks working, but November 20 is the tentative date for his wedding and baptism. There is opposition in all things, and we found out yesterday that he needs to have gall bladder surgery (with money that they don’t have). We are praying and working hard to help them with their faith. We know that if we are obedient and if they are obedient, God will help them through these trials. I don’t know how Rosa does it with her 6 kids, but the ward missionaries are helping her, sitting with her at church. There are a lot of valiant and wonderful single women with kids in our ward that are helping her and fellowshipping this family. This ward is becoming more and more service-oriented and is coming alive.

We found another family that is golden. Fausto and Lucila are so humble and good (and married!). We are just recently teaching them, so we will keep you posted. My testimony is growing every time more and more that when we are as obedient and hardworking as we can be, God directs us to the families that are prepared to receive His restored gospel. My faith is growing more and more every day.

I was sad to get a letter that says I end in March, but I talked with President and will stay until mid-April. I am not “trunky”, so no worries there, but it is never too soon to start planning what I will do when I get back.

Lots of love,

Hermana Christensen

P.S. I hope Grandpa feels better. I'm sorry I missed your birthday, Kezia, but I haven't forgotten you!