Monday, August 9, 2010

A Last, Very Joyous Week in the Jungle

Dear family and friends,

First off, what happened to the summer? Reading the updates from family I am surprised that people are starting school again. Weren’t you just in school a few days ago?

Wow! Yesterday was the best sacrament meeting ever. Why? It was my last Sunday in Barrio Secoya, after serving there for 6 months and I have never seen the room so full. I was so happy to see families that have not attended church for months or years or that have recently been baptized. I was so happy, I felt like, “This is what heaven is like.” And I understand the scripture when Christ says that how much is his joy with the sinner that repents and comes unto Him.

I loved teaching Primary yesterday. (Wow, those kids are active!) I taught about the sacredness of our bodies (context of plan of salvation and the Word of Wisdom). We had a discussion about the resurrection. What do you think? Does God have a body or is He just a spirit? Will we live again after we die? After the kids gave their opinions, we turned to the scriptures for the answers. We then did activities to learn about how to take care of our bodies, including 3 minutes of exercise (jumping jacks and stretches). The next lesson will have to be on reverence, to repair the damage that this “gringa” missionary has done to this ward! J I understand now why my elementary school teachers often turned off the lights and had us put our heads down for 5 minutes, to calm us down.

We are teaching cute golden families with little kids. I love it, because they remind me of my nieces and nephews (Lili, Ian, Emerson and Everett). These little kids have so much love and huge smiles. We were so happy to see that this family already prays together every day. The mom (Carol is her name…a great name!) read her pamphlet on the Restoration and had questions the next day! This is a big deal, because many times the people don’t do their reading or pray. To find someone who reads (that knows how to read) and that asks questions is the best thing for a missionary. Clara, a woman of 44 years, astounded us because we asked her how her reading of the Book of Mormon went and she showed us. She read 12 chapters in 4 days! She showed us the parts she had highlighted and explained that she was like Lehi, who tasted the fruit of the tree of life and wanted to share it with his family. She wants to share it with her sons, but respects their agency as well. Whoa! Her daughter is going to be baptized in Lima.

I am happy because the area is in good shape and it is in better shape than when we first arrived. I just received the news that I will be transferred to Lima again and will be in a three-some AND training (who will be training whom? I feel like I just got here). Everyone reacts and says, “Whew! A trio! Good luck!” I think that everything depends upon your attitude. It means shorter showers and more motivation to be exactly obedient. It means more experience and more testimony. It means more people to love. I think it will be great. I fly back to Lima tonight.

Lots of love,

Hermana Christensen