Monday, August 16, 2010

Back and Happy in Lima

Wow! Talk about changes. I am back in Lima and I am happy to be here. It is cold here and I was surprised that the people are approachable and friendly in this section of Lima. My friend told me it is because the people are from the provinces and are more humble and kind than people in other parts of Lima.

I am part of a trio with Hna. Nina and Hna. Avalos, both from Arequipa. Arequipa has a reputation of being like Texas: they want to be their own country. When we present ourselves, we each say, “And I am also from Arequipa.” But, the people don’t believe me when I say that ( I wonder why). My companions are so kind and humble and I feel the Spirit with them as we teach and testify. They have so much love and attributes of Christ. Hna. Avalos speaks Spanish with a Utahn accent and teaches elementary school back in Arequipa. I feel like a black sheep (more accurate to say a tall, white, black sheep) at times because they have so much in common and are more serious, but we are unified despite our differences.

I felt a huge surge of relief to arrive in this ward in Lima. The members are so friendly and supportive, accompanying us and giving us references. They actually have a ward structure, regular activities, a bishopric and presidencies that are fully-functioning and a piano! Hna. Reyes is staying there in Iquitos, content to be there, and I am happy to pass the torch on to her. The children's choir sang, "If the Savior stood beside me" and "I feel my Savior's Love" in Spanish and I thought of the BYU 71st ward choir of last year I was in, and when we sang that song at Angie Rideout's baptism years ago. Getting a little nostalgic...

Tender mercy. I was able to say goodbye to my good friends Hna. Pretell (from Peru) and Hna. Perez (Guatemala) before they returned home to their casas. I love them and know we are going to be FFL (Facebook Friends for Life) and BFF (Best Friends Forever). I know it was a blessing from Heavenly Father, because I needed to see them and they me before they left.

God is good. He has an individual plan of salvation for everyone. I know it and am grateful for all the wonderful people in my life who have reached out to me and touched my life. Thank you for coming into and blessing my life!

Saludos,

Hna. Christensen