Thursday, March 25, 2010

Challenges--and Blessings too! (written 22 Mar 2010)

We eat lunch every Wednesday with a family that lives in a house like that of the family in Swiss Family Robinson. It is built on tall poles hovering over a lake and is made out of wood. Every time we enter their house I bonk my head on the post (you think I would learn from my previous experiences, but the impact has killed so many brain cells that it is not registered in my memory) because I am tall by Peruvian standards. One day, my comp, Hna. Duarte, had to use the bathroom and I obediently accompanied her to where the bathroom was stationed, to stand guard. When she finished, she showed me the “toilet”—an opening in the wooden floor of the house where someone had cut out one of wooden slats. We still laugh about the ingenuity of the “toilet.” Aw, technology!

The two major challenges here are the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity. Someone told me that Peru is the 2nd or 3rd highest consumer of alcoholic beverages. I don’t know if that is for all of South America or the world, but I believe it. It’s difficult to proselyte on Saturdays or Sunday evenings, because everyone is tipsy. It’s associated with soccer…after every soccer game everyone gets together to celebrate. It’s also difficult to find couples that are married. There is a lot of cohabitation, partly because the people feel they have to save up their money to have a big celebration as part of their wedding. We have a list of 10-15 couples that would be able to be baptized if they were to be married. Every few months, according to demand, the Church sponsors a massive wedding, which is more affordable for people. Of the 10-15 couples that we have taught, 5 of them would be baptized the next day. We are waiting for the next massive wedding.

Yes, there are challenges, but there are so many blessings and so many good people. I am learning from small experiences every day that God is blessing me and helping me in all aspects of the work. Tender mercies- My missionary plaque fell off…but it fell in my lap when we were in the motocar. If it had fallen off at any other time, it would have been lost forever. My camera fell out of my bag and Percy handed it to me…I am noticing a trend with dropping things. Cuidado! (Careful!)

Alexander (20) was baptized at 8 years but has been inactive until recently. They don’t have any record of his baptism, so we are preparing him for his 2nd baptism! He is having to make a lot of big changes in his life, but he is animated for his baptism. He has the support and friendship of his friend Wilbur, who is guiding him and testifying to him, answering questions, etc. Oh, how I wish that every investigator had a friend like Wilbur to help him/her in the transition time of giving up wordly things and living a new life in Christ! It’s difficult to change, and almost impossible without the help of friends.

The work goes forth. I really want to help people focus on reading the Book of Mormon and praying.Those are critical if they are to gain a testimony. I learned that most people here readily accept a free gift, but not everyone reads it. We are going to read it together with our investigators, make questions to help them get more out of their homework assignments, give them a colored pencil so they can make their reading more meaningful, and we have a paper that says "He Leido El Libro de Mormon" and they mark a square for every chapter they have read. Let’s hope we can help people get excited for their scriptures, because they are amazing.

Be excited for General Conference. It's coming up soon!

-Hna. Christensen