Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Healing for Body and Spirit

Hello, family and friends!

I received a packet of letters and Christmas cards this week and I just wanted to thank everyone for keeping me in your prayers. I thank Heavenly Father that we can stay in touch and still be part of each other’s lives, even when often we go on in different directions. Thank you for being a special part of my life. Thanks for the letters from the following people: Jenay Weekly, Jennifer Ricks (congrats on your baby!), Richard Jamison, BYU Freshmen Mentoring, Jeff and Janet Rees, Crystal Baysa, Michelle Lizon, Amy Faragher (congratulations on the change of last name!), Brian and Melissa Elkins, and all the rest that are sure to arrive in February or March (heh heh).

There’s not much to report for this week, except that we have converted our room into a hospital. I was sick last week. I ate something that wasn’t properly prepared, was sick, but I prayed and told Heavenly Father to take away all the yucky stuff out of my stomach all at once so I could sleep through the night. Two minutes later, He answered that prayer. (And, for the record, that really was the exact wording of my prayer. I don’t know how to translate “yucky stuff” in Spanish.) The following day I was exhausted and limited to a diet of liquids. I find it highly ironic because in the last email I sent, I mentioned how I wanted to have a parasite to lose weight faster and then 3 days later I get sick. I will be much more careful about what I want, because I think God will give it to me. Now, I am just battling a sore throat. But, my companion is suffering with a throat and nose infection that just wipes all the energy out of her and so we are going to the clinic today.

We had interviews with President Blunck yesterday and cleaning inspections of the room. They invited us, only the sisters that are serving in the jungle, to have a special dinner with them in the hotel they are staying at. They just spoil us sisters out here in the mission. And that is okay with us! So, after the doctor’s appointment we will be going there.

Yesterday we had dinner with a sister who is returning back to activity in the church after years of inactivity. She counseled us to read and follow our patriarchal blessings. She regrets not having married in the temple. She was sad and full of “if only…” My companion and I listened to her story and then we both took her by the hand and told her, “The race isn’t over yet! God is merciful and has His arms outstretched with His blessings awaiting you. Go get your blessings!” I have learned that so many times we look back on our lives and on bad decisions we have made and sometimes it can consume us. I believe that the miracle of forgiveness is that we can learn to feel God’s forgiveness and also that we can forgive ourselves and move on with our lives, looking to the future and not on the past. Those are some of the best blessings of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. God wants us to give us all the blessings that we need and will give them to us, but we have to have trust in Him and ask for them and then work for them. I know He listens to our prayers and that He answers every one of them, according to our needs.

Have a happy week!

Love, Hermana Christensen